Fail. This is the word that most correctly describes my recent baking venture. Epic Fail. I’ve been quite obsessed with a blog called http://www.picky-palate.com/ She’s a mother of two, and her cooking style is so much like mine. Fun, cute, and easy. So, as I was searching through her blog one day…I stumbled upon this. Starbuck’s Coffee Cake.(retrieved by a friend of hers.) Now, I’m not sure about you…but Starbuck’s baked goods are amazing! So, I figured it was worth a try.
Well, I’ll start with the recipe…and we will go from there.
1 yellow cake mix
oil, eggs, and water called for on the box
2 sticks cold salted butter
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 Tablespoons cinnamon
1 1/2 Tablespoons vanilla
1 3/4 cup brown sugar (slightly packed)
Powdered Sugar for dusting (I kind of forgot about that…oops)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9*13 pan with cooking spray.
2. Make cake mix according to the package. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until slightly set.
3. While cake is in the oven, make the “crumb topping.” Combine cold butter, flour, cinnamon, vanilla, and brown sugar with electric mixer until fine and crumbly. Set aside.
4. When cake is slightly set, take out of the oven and immediately crumble the topping over top. Return to the oven and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until topping looks more “baked.”
5. Let cool, cut into small pieces, and top with powdered sugar.
So, I did all that! Everything that recipe said…I did. But, this is what happened. Yeah, not what I thought it would look like either. The words..yellow puddle of raw-ness came to mind. So, what did I do…I threw it back into the oven for another ten minutes….and….